This website has a large number of bilingual glossaries for EAL pupils to use in class to support their learning. They are available in all these languages and for a number of secondary subjects.
- For: Chemistry, English, Geography, History, Maths, Physics, Science, Secondary
- Language: Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Ukrainian, Urdu
- Purpose: Dual Language, New arrivals, Vocabulary, Word lists
This 16-minute video for all Highland Council school staff is an introduction to supporting Ukrainian pupils and their families in our schools, with signposting to further resources and support.
Presented by Educational Psychologist Carrie Yavuz and EAL Teacher Alison Roy.
Please note that this video can only be opened by staff with a Highland Council Google email. Please ensure you have logged into Chrome with your Highland Council google email.
We have collated a selection of resources to support schools in welcoming families from Ukraine.
Click on the image for Nursery/ Primary or Secondary or Families. This will take you to a google doc with links to the resources. Please note that these are live documents and are being added to as new resources and information becomes available.
- For: All Education Staff, Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Russian, Ukrainian
- Purpose: Best Practice, Dual Language, Information, Interactive resources, New arrivals, Word lists
These strategies have been developed to support pupils to use strategies in their classes to help them to develop and acquire English. They can be downloaded individually or as a zip folder. They were originally developed and sent out to pupils over the year so that they had a weekly strategy to try out.
- Mind Maps
- Learning New Words
- Vocab cards Quizlet
- Use the people around you
- Graphic Organisers
- Translation and Dictionaries
- Action Tree
- Speech to text, readers and support on Chromebook
- Analysis – making the same mistakes
- Keeping your home language (L1)
- Idiomatic sayings
Little by Little zip folder
A table for secondary EAL students to record key vocabulary in different subjects.
- Key vocabulary can be provided by subject teachers (if new to english) or by the students themselves when they start a new topic.
- The table can be adaped for any language, but here are a few templates.
Blank Vocabulary Table-Chinese
Blank Vocabulary Table-Arabic
Blank Vocabulary Table-Polish
Ideal for new arrivals, this gives some basic survival vocabulary in English and Hungarian including greetings, simple instructions, maths vocabulary etc. You may also be interested in Hungarian Phrases for School posted earlier..click here
Hungarian survival vocab
Please click on the link below for a list of topic words in Albanian. Topics include my school, colours, animals, transport and many more.
Albanian topic words
These Polish resources have been made for Primary pupils. Click on the link to download the word lists.
If anyone is developing word lists in different languages and they would like to share them, please share with EAL Team to put onto the blog. Thanks.