During the lockdown, many teachers have been using SEESAW to link up with their pupils.
This link shows how to use translation tools in SEESAW to ensure that EAL Pupils can also link in with materials posted through the site.
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Dual Language
Here are 2 maths glossaries in English and Russian that could be useful with primary or secondary pupils who can read Russian.
Russian Maths Words from Cambridgeshire CC
Maths Glossary in Russian from Nexus
Learning languages through the sharing of recipes and culture.
Click on the image to go to the website and download the app.
As they say…
We hope you will enjoy learning languages while cooking and also that you will take part in our online community and add your own favourite recipe using our ‘recipe builder’ – the Linguacuisine authoring tool.
Help people all over the world learn about your own language, culture and cuisine and learn yourself about other countries. Tell others how the cooking went and how the food tasted on our online community.
A table for secondary EAL students to record key vocabulary in different subjects.
- Key vocabulary can be provided by subject teachers (if new to english) or by the students themselves when they start a new topic.
- The table can be adaped for any language, but here are a few templates.
Blank Vocabulary Table-Chinese
Blank Vocabulary Table-Arabic
Blank Vocabulary Table-Polish
These leaflets are published by Aberdeenshire EAL Service and promote bilingualism and the benefits of maintaining and developing home languages. They are published in a number of different languages and aslo have links for further information.
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, English, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Urdu
- Purpose: Dual Language
This guide provides lots of links to suggested strategies, activities, research and other materials for teaching EAL pupils. Where you see a blue triangle click to get more information. Lots of good material here which could provide a backbone for understanding the teaching of EAL pupils.
Click on logo for more…. or
A number of key word lists in Arabic for different subjects
A number of resources in Arabic for newly arrived pupils
and some more complex instructions
If you need to access Interpreting and Translation Services just click on the picture box for further information. You will be directed to the Highland Council Intranet and so if using a machine outside Highland Council establishments you will need to use your User Name and Password to access it as it is for Highland Council Users only.