These strategies have been developed to support pupils to use strategies in their classes to help them to develop and acquire English. They can be downloaded individually or as a zip folder. They were originally developed and sent out to pupils over the year so that they had a weekly strategy to try out.
- Mind Maps
- Learning New Words
- Vocab cards Quizlet
- Use the people around you
- Graphic Organisers
- Translation and Dictionaries
- Action Tree
- Speech to text, readers and support on Chromebook
- Analysis – making the same mistakes
- Keeping your home language (L1)
- Idiomatic sayings
Little by Little zip folder
Here are 2 maths glossaries in English and Russian that could be useful with primary or secondary pupils who can read Russian.
Russian Maths Words from Cambridgeshire CC
Maths Glossary in Russian from Nexus
Essex County Council have produced a number of booklets with useful phrases for new pupils in a variety of languages. Can be used by teachers and pupils to ease communication and by parents to get messages across to schools and vice versa.
Available in the following languages:
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Letters Home, Phrase books
Here are some Arabic resources including basic phrases, welcome signs and useful classroom vocabulary.
Or you can download this….
For Dual Language Resources and Dictionaries in Arabic here are some book suggestions and book sellers to buy them from:
EAL resources for new arrivals (Arabic)
EAL dual language dictionaries for secondary pupils (Arabic)
There are also more resources if you follow the link below for maths, subject key words, topic words and general information….
These useful resources from Bracknell Forest EAL and Diversity Team at Bracknell Forest Council give schools basic phrases in different languages in PDF format for use with pupils and parents. They can be used for new arrivals or for checking understanding for New to English pupils. Some teachers and pupils may simply be interested in them to celebrate different languages as well.
Click on the language to download….
Arabic Chinese Czech German Greek Hindi Hungarian Italian Japanese Lithuanian Malayalam Polish Portuguese Russian Slovak Spanish Tagalog Tamil Thai Turkish Urdu
There are also lots more resources in different languages for use in Primary and Secondary schools on their website click here to open in a new window
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary
- Language: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Class Signs, Dual Language, Information, Phrase books
Here are a some new Polish resources for you to use in the classroom. One is a Polish Language Mat and the other is a set of language survival cards that teachers can use to ensure that newly arrived pupils understand directions and simple instructions.
Both resources are particularly helpful with new arrivals but also support children with some Polish literacy to find the right words. Click on the links below to download.
Polish Survival Guide
French Resources for Secondary Higher Art including a list of specialised vocabulary and translations.
A detailed but accessible Polish-English phrasebook to support Polish pupils.
With thanks to Bracknell Forest EAL.