This website has a large number of bilingual glossaries for EAL pupils to use in class to support their learning. They are available in all these languages and for a number of secondary subjects.
- For: Chemistry, English, Geography, History, Maths, Physics, Science, Secondary
- Language: Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Ukrainian, Urdu
- Purpose: Dual Language, New arrivals, Vocabulary, Word lists
Inspirationapps.com have bilingual dictionary apps available in 20 different languages. These are offline, word for word dictionaries which are permitted in exams and assessments if you follow the guidance from SQA.
Apps can be installed on Chromebooks/phones/i pads from the Apple App Store or from the Google Play Store.
At present the Polish and French apps can be added to a pupils Chromebook. If you need another language please contact the EAL Team. If you pupil’s first language is not available there are other apps available so get in touch.
As with paper dictionaries, pupils should only be given the app in assessments if they use bilingual dictionaries for regular classwork/homework. Some practice in using the app before the assessment/exam is advised.
- For: Secondary
- Language: Bulgarian, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish
- Purpose: Dual Language, Information