This website has a large number of bilingual glossaries for EAL pupils to use in class to support their learning. They are available in all these languages and for a number of secondary subjects.
- For: Chemistry, English, Geography, History, Maths, Physics, Science, Secondary
- Language: Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Ukrainian, Urdu
- Purpose: Dual Language, New arrivals, Vocabulary, Word lists
This 16-minute video for all Highland Council school staff is an introduction to supporting Ukrainian pupils and their families in our schools, with signposting to further resources and support.
Presented by Educational Psychologist Carrie Yavuz and EAL Teacher Alison Roy.
Please note that this video can only be opened by staff with a Highland Council Google email. Please ensure you have logged into Chrome with your Highland Council google email.
We have collated a selection of resources to support schools in welcoming families from Ukraine.
Click on the image for Nursery/ Primary or Secondary or Families. This will take you to a google doc with links to the resources. Please note that these are live documents and are being added to as new resources and information becomes available.
- For: All Education Staff, Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Russian, Ukrainian
- Purpose: Best Practice, Dual Language, Information, Interactive resources, New arrivals, Word lists
Inspirationapps.com have bilingual dictionary apps available in 20 different languages. These are offline, word for word dictionaries which are permitted in exams and assessments if you follow the guidance from SQA.
Apps can be installed on Chromebooks/phones/i pads from the Apple App Store or from the Google Play Store.
At present the Polish and French apps can be added to a pupils Chromebook. If you need another language please contact the EAL Team. If you pupil’s first language is not available there are other apps available so get in touch.
As with paper dictionaries, pupils should only be given the app in assessments if they use bilingual dictionaries for regular classwork/homework. Some practice in using the app before the assessment/exam is advised.
- For: Secondary
- Language: Bulgarian, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish
- Purpose: Dual Language, Information
Please note: in order to access R&W, staff must ‘sync’ their Chrome accounts in order for the extension to appear.
Follow this link for a guide on how to do this.
Highland Literacy have posted resources page links for Google Read and Write.
This is a great Google extension for EAL learners (and pupils with literacy difficulties) with many tools to support pupils learning, all in one place: a reader, a translator, a PDF reader/annotator, predictive text and many more.
Follow the link below to discover what they all do.
During the last school closures, many teachers used SEESAW to link up with their pupils. High numbers of EAL pupils/parents did not engage with work that was posted:
This link shows how to use translation tools in SEESAW to ensure that EAL Pupils and their parents can also link in with materials posted through the site.
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Dual Language
General support materials for supporting EAL learners in secondary school… Find out more »