Inspirationapps.com have bilingual dictionary apps available in 20 different languages. These are offline, word for word dictionaries which are permitted in exams and assessments if you follow the guidance from SQA.
Apps can be installed on Chromebooks/phones/i pads from the Apple App Store or from the Google Play Store.
At present the Polish and French apps can be added to a pupils Chromebook. If you need another language please contact the EAL Team. If you pupil’s first language is not available there are other apps available so get in touch.
As with paper dictionaries, pupils should only be given the app in assessments if they use bilingual dictionaries for regular classwork/homework. Some practice in using the app before the assessment/exam is advised.
Here are 2 maths glossaries in English and Russian that could be useful with primary or secondary pupils who can read Russian.
This is a social story to support children during the Covid-19 outbreak translated into different languages.
Talking to children about Covid 19 using talking mates, video and hand washing guidance.
Also available in many different languages https://www.mindheart.co/descargables
Covid 19 Guidance in 44 different languages
Here is a link to translated information from the NHS from Doctors of the World.
Use this to share with parents and older pupils.
During the last school closures, many teachers used SEESAW to link up with their pupils. High numbers of EAL pupils/parents did not engage with work that was posted:
This link shows how to use translation tools in SEESAW to ensure that EAL Pupils and their parents can also link in with materials posted through the site.
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Dual Language
These leaflets are published by Aberdeenshire EAL Service and promote bilingualism and the benefits of maintaining and developing home languages. They are published in a number of different languages and aslo have links for further information.
- Arabic Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Bulgarian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Chinese (Simplified) Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Czech Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- English Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Hungarian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Latvian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Lithuanian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Polish Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Portuguese Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Punjabi Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Russian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Spanish Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Urdu Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
Essex County Council have produced a number of booklets with useful phrases for new pupils in a variety of languages. Can be used by teachers and pupils to ease communication and by parents to get messages across to schools and vice versa.
Available in the following languages:
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Arabic
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Bulgarian
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Hungarian
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Italian
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Latvian
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Lithuanian
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Mandarin
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Nepalese
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Polish
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Portuguese
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Romanian
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Russian
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Spanish
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Tagalog
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Thai
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Turkish
- Booklet for new EAL pupils_Vietnamese
These useful resources from Bracknell Forest EAL and Diversity Team at Bracknell Forest Council give schools basic phrases in different languages in PDF format for use with pupils and parents. They can be used for new arrivals or for checking understanding for New to English pupils. Some teachers and pupils may simply be interested in them to celebrate different languages as well.
Click on the language to download….
There are also lots more resources in different languages for use in Primary and Secondary schools on their website click here to open in a new window
Information for parents/carers and professionals on the advantages of bilingualism, available in the following languages: