This website has a large number of bilingual glossaries for EAL pupils to use in class to support their learning. They are available in all these languages and for a number of secondary subjects.
- For: Chemistry, English, Geography, History, Maths, Physics, Science, Secondary
- Language: Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Ukrainian, Urdu
- Purpose: Dual Language, New arrivals, Vocabulary, Word lists
During the last school closures, many teachers used SEESAW to link up with their pupils. High numbers of EAL pupils/parents did not engage with work that was posted:
This link shows how to use translation tools in SEESAW to ensure that EAL Pupils and their parents can also link in with materials posted through the site.
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Dual Language
Information for parents/carers and professionals on the advantages of bilingualism, available in the following languages:
ENGLISH ARABIC BENGALI CHINESE FARSI FRENCH GERMAN JAPANESE KOREAN LATVIAN MALAY POLISH PORTUGUESE PUNJABI RUSSIAN SPANISH THAI TURKISH URDU
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Japanese, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
EAL Edinburgh have produced a number of leaflets about
Curriculum for Excellence
Click on the link above and you will find parental guidance on the following aspects of Curriculum for Excellence in Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Polish, Romanian, Thai, Turkish and Urdu:
Assessment, Reporting and Qualifications,
Education in Scotland
Parents as Partners
- For: Parents
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, English, Polish, Romanian, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Information, Letters Home
Highland Life Information Pack
Highland Life have published an information pack which contains details of services provided in the Highlands including transport, health, education (for +16 and including ESOL). It is available in different languages including;-
Bengali, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Latvian
Here is the introduction to give you a flavour –
Whether you have just arrived or you have chosen the Highlands as your home, to live and work here then this guide is for you. Leaving home and moving to a new country can be difficult so we want to help.
In the Highlands we have all the facilities you need:
- health centres
- public transport – trains, buses
- modern amenities
- telecommunications network
In addition to the range of outdoor activities, there are thriving amateur sports leagues and cultural activities throughout the year.
This pack gives general information, but you should always get more information based on your own situation. For additional information, click on the web links.
We hope you will find the information useful and we welcome you to Highland – a great place to live, work and play
This website contains lots of stories in many different languages. It has audio files and there is usually both English and other language version of the story. Once registered on the site, you have access to EAL guides which detail grammar and vocabulary included in the stories and other teacher guides and support.
World Stories website
- For: English, Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog
With thanks to Moray EAL.