These strategies have been developed to support pupils to use strategies in their classes to help them to develop and acquire English. They can be downloaded individually or as a zip folder. They were originally developed and sent out to pupils over the year so that they had a weekly strategy to try out.
- Mind Maps
- Learning New Words
- Vocab cards Quizlet
- Use the people around you
- Graphic Organisers
- Translation and Dictionaries
- Action Tree
- Speech to text, readers and support on Chromebook
- Analysis – making the same mistakes
- Keeping your home language (L1)
- Idiomatic sayings
Further help and resources (click on green highlight) from The Bell Foundation covering:-
- Resources for teachers working online with EAL Pupils
- Guidance for working with EAL Parents
- Blog about working with EAL parents
- Blog about working with EAL pupils during and post school closure
Here is a powerpoint put together by Highland One World looking at Anti Racist Resources. there are links to support for classroom resources, resources for staff understanding and pointers for further research and knowledge. Always important, but particularly highlighted at the moment with Balck Lives Matter campaigns and demonstrations and important for all communities.
This is a social story to support children during the Covid-19 outbreak translated into different languages.
Please find attached 3 different web based activities for new to English Primary aged children from Glasgow EAL.
Talking to children about Covid 19 using talking mates, video and hand washing guidance.
Also available in many different languages https://www.mindheart.co/descargables
Covid 19 Guidance in 44 different languages
Here is a link to translated information from the NHS from Doctors of the World.
Use this to share with parents and older pupils.