Attached are some websites to support children at home and also a list of different activities that could be done with parents and by themselves developed by Glasgow EAL.
Talking to children about Covid 19 using talking mates, video and hand washing guidance.
Also available in many different languages https://www.mindheart.co/descargables
Covid 19 Guidance in 44 different languages
Here is a link to translated information from the NHS from Doctors of the World.
Use this to share with parents and older pupils.
The following packs have been made available to schools:
Please click on the links to access the resources
Refugee and Migrant Welcome Packs
Going to School in Scotland: Primary 1 – 4
Going to School in Scotland: Primary 5 – S3
Welcome to School in Scotland: S4 – S6
An easy use resource which is full of apps/ extensions/websites to support EAL learners to develop their English skills and to access the curriculum. This is a ‘live’ document which will be updated regularly so we would recommend that you store it in Google Drive.
During the last school closures, many teachers used SEESAW to link up with their pupils. High numbers of EAL pupils/parents did not engage with work that was posted:
This link shows how to use translation tools in SEESAW to ensure that EAL Pupils and their parents can also link in with materials posted through the site.
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Dual Language
These leaflets are published by Aberdeenshire EAL Service and promote bilingualism and the benefits of maintaining and developing home languages. They are published in a number of different languages and aslo have links for further information.
- Arabic Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Bulgarian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Chinese (Simplified) Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Czech Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- English Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Hungarian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Latvian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Lithuanian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Polish Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Portuguese Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Punjabi Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Russian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Spanish Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Urdu Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
This document is designed to support schools reflect on what makes a good EAL environment and what measures they could take to improve the environment for EAL pupils in their locations.
Any feedback on the document to help improve it and make it more useful would be welcomed. firstname.lastname@example.org
This guide provides lots of links to suggested strategies, activities, research and other materials for teaching EAL pupils. Where you see a blue triangle click to get more information. Lots of good material here which could provide a backbone for understanding the teaching of EAL pupils.
Click on logo for more…. or