Essex County Council have produced a number of booklets with useful phrases for new pupils in a variety of languages. Can be used by teachers and pupils to ease communication and by parents to get messages across to schools and vice versa.
Available in the following languages:
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Letters Home, Phrase books
start early and
stay active for life
Here is a link to downloadable resources Play At Home in English and Polish. These resources have been developed by the NHS to encourage early development through play at home.
The NHS website says:
play@home activity sheets
These Polish resources have been made for Primary pupils. Click on the link to download the word lists.
If anyone is developing word lists in different languages and they would like to share them, please share with EAL Team to put onto the blog. Thanks.
These useful resources from Bracknell Forest EAL and Diversity Team at Bracknell Forest Council give schools basic phrases in different languages in PDF format for use with pupils and parents. They can be used for new arrivals or for checking understanding for New to English pupils. Some teachers and pupils may simply be interested in them to celebrate different languages as well.
Click on the language to download….
Arabic Chinese Czech German Greek Hindi Hungarian Italian Japanese Lithuanian Malayalam Polish Portuguese Russian Slovak Spanish Tagalog Tamil Thai Turkish Urdu
There are also lots more resources in different languages for use in Primary and Secondary schools on their website click here to open in a new window
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary
- Language: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Class Signs, Dual Language, Information, Phrase books
Information for parents/carers and professionals on the advantages of bilingualism, available in the following languages:
ENGLISH ARABIC BENGALI CHINESE FARSI FRENCH GERMAN JAPANESE KOREAN LATVIAN MALAY POLISH PORTUGUESE PUNJABI RUSSIAN SPANISH THAI TURKISH URDU
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Japanese, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
Here are a some new Polish resources for you to use in the classroom. One is a Polish Language Mat and the other is a set of language survival cards that teachers can use to ensure that newly arrived pupils understand directions and simple instructions.
Both resources are particularly helpful with new arrivals but also support children with some Polish literacy to find the right words. Click on the links below to download.
Polish Survival Guide
EAL Edinburgh have produced a number of leaflets about
Curriculum for Excellence
Click on the link above and you will find parental guidance on the following aspects of Curriculum for Excellence in Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Polish, Romanian, Thai, Turkish and Urdu:
Assessment, Reporting and Qualifications,
Education in Scotland
Parents as Partners
- For: Parents
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, English, Polish, Romanian, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Information, Letters Home
Highland Life Information Pack
Highland Life have published an information pack which contains details of services provided in the Highlands including transport, health, education (for +16 and including ESOL). It is available in different languages including;-
Bengali, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Latvian
Here is the introduction to give you a flavour –
Whether you have just arrived or you have chosen the Highlands as your home, to live and work here then this guide is for you. Leaving home and moving to a new country can be difficult so we want to help.
In the Highlands we have all the facilities you need:
- health centres
- public transport – trains, buses
- modern amenities
- telecommunications network
In addition to the range of outdoor activities, there are thriving amateur sports leagues and cultural activities throughout the year.
This pack gives general information, but you should always get more information based on your own situation. For additional information, click on the web links.
We hope you will find the information useful and we welcome you to Highland – a great place to live, work and play
This website contains lots of stories in many different languages. It has audio files and there is usually both English and other language version of the story. Once registered on the site, you have access to EAL guides which detail grammar and vocabulary included in the stories and other teacher guides and support.
World Stories website
- For: English, Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog