NHS Inform has lots of different health information (including about Covid 19) in different languages and in an Easy Read version.
NALDIC have produced a useful list of websites and activities for EAL pupils who are currently at home. Take a look and see what would be useful for you and your pupils.
During the last school closures, many teachers used SEESAW to link up with their pupils. High numbers of EAL pupils/parents did not engage with work that was posted:
This link shows how to use translation tools in SEESAW to ensure that EAL Pupils and their parents can also link in with materials posted through the site.
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Dual Language
These leaflets are published by Aberdeenshire EAL Service and promote bilingualism and the benefits of maintaining and developing home languages. They are published in a number of different languages and aslo have links for further information.
- Arabic Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Bulgarian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Chinese (Simplified) Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Czech Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- English Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Hungarian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Latvian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Lithuanian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Polish Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Portuguese Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Punjabi Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Russian Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Spanish Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
- Urdu Be Bilingual – A4 Trifold v5
These useful resources from Bracknell Forest EAL and Diversity Team at Bracknell Forest Council give schools basic phrases in different languages in PDF format for use with pupils and parents. They can be used for new arrivals or for checking understanding for New to English pupils. Some teachers and pupils may simply be interested in them to celebrate different languages as well.
Click on the language to download….
There are also lots more resources in different languages for use in Primary and Secondary schools on their website click here to open in a new window
Information for parents/carers and professionals on the advantages of bilingualism, available in the following languages:
EAL Edinburgh have produced a number of leaflets about
Click on the link above and you will find parental guidance on the following aspects of Curriculum for Excellence in Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Polish, Romanian, Thai, Turkish and Urdu:
Assessment, Reporting and Qualifications,
Education in Scotland
Parents as Partners