Inspirationapps.com have bilingual dictionary apps available in 20 different languages. These are offline, word for word dictionaries which are permitted in exams and assessments if you follow the guidance from SQA.
Apps can be installed on Chromebooks/phones/i pads from the Apple App Store or from the Google Play Store.
At present the Polish and French apps can be added to a pupils Chromebook. If you need another language please contact the EAL Team. If you pupil’s first language is not available there are other apps available so get in touch.
As with paper dictionaries, pupils should only be given the app in assessments if they use bilingual dictionaries for regular classwork/homework. Some practice in using the app before the assessment/exam is advised.
- For: Secondary
- Language: Bulgarian, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish
- Purpose: Dual Language, Information
Learning languages through the sharing of recipes and culture.
Click on the image to go to the website and download the app.
As they say…
We hope you will enjoy learning languages while cooking and also that you will take part in our online community and add your own favourite recipe using our ‘recipe builder’ – the Linguacuisine authoring tool.
Help people all over the world learn about your own language, culture and cuisine and learn yourself about other countries. Tell others how the cooking went and how the food tasted on our online community.
This is a social story to support children during the Covid-19 outbreak translated into different languages.
My Hero is You
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Multilingual, Russian, Spanish, Tamil, Turkish
- Purpose: Health & Well Being
During the last school closures, many teachers used SEESAW to link up with their pupils. High numbers of EAL pupils/parents did not engage with work that was posted:
This link shows how to use translation tools in SEESAW to ensure that EAL Pupils and their parents can also link in with materials posted through the site.
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Dual Language
Essex County Council have produced a number of booklets with useful phrases for new pupils in a variety of languages. Can be used by teachers and pupils to ease communication and by parents to get messages across to schools and vice versa.
Available in the following languages:
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Letters Home, Phrase books
These useful resources from Bracknell Forest EAL and Diversity Team at Bracknell Forest Council give schools basic phrases in different languages in PDF format for use with pupils and parents. They can be used for new arrivals or for checking understanding for New to English pupils. Some teachers and pupils may simply be interested in them to celebrate different languages as well.
Click on the language to download….
Arabic Chinese Czech German Greek Hindi Hungarian Italian Japanese Lithuanian Malayalam Polish Portuguese Russian Slovak Spanish Tagalog Tamil Thai Turkish Urdu
There are also lots more resources in different languages for use in Primary and Secondary schools on their website click here to open in a new window
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary
- Language: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Class Signs, Dual Language, Information, Phrase books